What is XML markup for?
6. Markup as a scholarly activity
- The application of markup to a document can be an intellectual
- In deciding what markup to apply, and how this represents the
original, one is undertaking the task of an editor
- There is (almost) no such thing as neutral markup -- all of it
- Markup can assist in answering research questions, and the deciding
what markup is needed to enable such questions to be answered can be a research
activity in itself
- Good textual encoding is never as easy or quick as people would
- Detailed document analysis is needed before encoding for the
resulting markup to be useful
Up: Contents Previous: 5. What's the point of markup? Next: 7. What does markup capture?